Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Wednesday 5 May 2010

On the Bench 2

My good friend Nigel, the electrical wizard came round tonight. He had worked out what was wrong with the Trophy Sport. It was doing very odd things as hinted at in a previous post, the brake light switch was causing the lights in the speedometer to do very odd things and all in all the bike was not happy. The problem was the engine was not earthed. I do not recall the instructions for the electronic ignition kit saying we needed one, but the old dynamo had an earth wire, the new set up did not. Running a wire from the carburettor mounting bolt to a known earthing point on the frame sorted it all out straight away. Within minutes I had rigged up a throttle and got some petrol into the carburettor. The biked fired on the first kick and started on the third, after having been stood 19 months. Pretty good that I reckon. All the electrics are working well, I just need to get the front wheel and mudguard in, fit a few new control cables and give the bike a good clean and polish and it is ready for the MOT test.

No comments:

Post a Comment