Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Wednesday 12 May 2010

I went for a good spin on the Guzzi V7 Classic on Sunday afternoon and evening. The flat battery problem has gone away for the time being, more frequent use hopefully will stop it coming back. First stop was Helmsley in North Yorkshire, reached via a fantastic B road from York. Helmsley is a very pleasant little town and the market square is always popular with people on bikes. I had a RBR clue to get here too.
Across the way was this smart Riley sports car too.
I rode on and turned off to pass through the Dalby Forest. I had not been this way before and as it was late afternoon the Forestry Commission staff had gone home so I did not need to pay to use the toll road through the forest, which is huge. Not far in this was the view, trees as far as I could see!
Soon after I found this lovely clearing with a stream.
Lots of wild flowers to be seen there.
Perfect place to live, right in the middle of the forest, as long as you don't fall out with your neighbours, you don't want a drink in the pub and you don't run out of grub. It must be 7 miles at least to the nearest shop!
Further on I found this massive rock. Quite strange as there did not seem to be any other rocks about.
One last shot of the forest, the east end of it this time.
Not far from there is the village of Hackness, where a stream runs down the street!
England in spring time takes some beating I reckon. Near Hackness.
I then travelled through Scarborough and Bridlington, stopping off to get a RBR clue in Hunmanby on the way then briefly stopped at Fraisthorpe beach. It was just too cold to hang around, sadly. Bridlington can be seen in the distance and the blocks are the remains of WWII defences. The soft cliffs are getting eroded here, last time I visited about 11 years back they were not so far out on to the beach.
Nice shot of cows and calves grazing by a pond near Fraisthorpe beach.
I rode on over the Humber bridge to get a third clue in North Lincolnshire. I found a nice little lane nearby. Here is a Lincolnshire sunset.
Mist can be seen forming in the dyke in failing light. it was really cold for May.

I filled up in Brigg and chatted to the owner of this well cool Norton rotary cafe racer. From there it was a chilly but quick ride home on the M180 and M62. I got home just before 11 PM having ridden 265 miles and had a great day.

1 comment: