Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Saturday 29 May 2010

Disaster!

My Jawa wrecked its left hand big end today, made a right clatter it did. At least it had the decency to do it while still on my driveway and before I had spent lots of money on a new pair of tyres I was setting off to have fitted. I took the left hand head off and the carnage was revealed, lumps out of the piston and head and ground up metal everywhere, as bits of big end had come up through the transfer ports. I could set the piston at top dead centre and turn the crank quite a long way without the piston moving too.... The photo shows the pockmarked combustion chamber, wiping my finger round made it become covered with a grey metallic grinding paste. A total engine strip down is required, and being a twin the crank will be expensive to recondition.

I pondered getting shut of the bike and all the spares I have but that's a defeatist attitude. Instead I got everything ready to lift the engine out, my pet engine builder is coming on Tuesday to take it away. It will cost me far more than the bike is worth, but I like it and what's money got to do with it anyway? I have another pair of pistons and barrels and another cylinder head as that one is scrap, so if they are in good condition that will save a bit of cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment