Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Tuesday 4 May 2010

2 slight problems...

I have experienced two problems recently, one self inflicted.

I got called out on standby for work over the weekend. I went on my little MZ TS 150 winter hack which had a nice new back tyre to try out and had not been used for some weeks. On the way home the gearchange got really notchy so I decided to check things out before riding the bike again. Tonight I lifted the rear wheel off the ground and could hear a definite metallic rubbing noise when I turned the wheel backwards but not forwards. Further inspection revealed very little oil in the gearbox. I'm a bad lad, have let the bike go a bit and have not checked the oil since I stopped the last known leak some time back. However a mate of mine ran his nearly dry and no harm was apparently done so fingers crossed it will be OK. I guess I have a slightly leaking seal and the engine is drinking a but , but performance seems fine the nasty noise has now gone, a road test will confirm. I must ensure I am more careful in future.

I had to go on a course today and wanted to go on my Moto Guzzi V7 Classic, as pictured at the top of this screen. It was having none of it as the battery was almost completely flat even though it was fine when I last used the bike 3 weeks ago. The bike is only 9 months old and really should not have done this. I am at present unsure whether the battery has developed a fault or if there is something wrong with the bike which is allowing the battery to drain down when the bike is stood. I have charged the battery up during the day today and it will have to be a case of seeing what happens then contacting the dealer should a warranty claim be necessary. it did at least start easily this evening with a charged battery/

I went to the course on my Jawa instead and went on to see a good friend in Pateley Bridge afterwards, enjoying a virtually traffic free run in good weather back as far as Otley this evening then still only light congestion from then on through Bradford and home. So all in all, not all bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mark,

    Followed your link from GBCs blog.
    I do like the look of the V7 Classic, hope yours starts to behave itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, I will see if the battery has run down again at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete