Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Tuesday 14 September 2010

A minor disaster with the "Shed"


I chucked my MZ TS 150 roadster, affectionately known as the Shed, up the road on black ice last February. I was fortunately unhurt, just a bit shaken up and damage to the bike was minimal, just a bent footrest and a broken mirror. I had not fallen off for almost 14 years at that time, so no complaints other than why can't the council grit the road?

I straightened the footrest by jumping up and down on it and all was well. Until last Friday evening that is... I parked the bike in the dark on an uneven surface on the side stand near my favourite chippy. When I came out I went to put the wrapped up chips (to accompany a home made curry in case you think I am a total junk food eater!) in my tank bag. The bike was almost vertical due to the uneven ground and therefore decided to throw itself on the floor as soon as I touched the zip on the tank bag. This resulted in another broken mirror and a badly bent footrest again. I straightened it and rode the bike home, but the footrest moved far too easily for my liking. After curry and chips, I examined the bike and sure enough the footrest bar on the right hand was cracked through and about to shear off. The above photo shows what it was like. I had quite a job getting the remains of the footrest bar out of the bike frame as it was very tight and there was not much left to get hold of. By removing the exhaust silencer I was able to gain access with a large pair of stilsons which enabled me get the remains of the bar moving and then it was fairly easy to remove. I have used the footrest bar off the recently purchased 150 Trophy to get me back on the road and I have ordered a new one to put back on the Trophy.

I can think of more pleasurable ways to spend a Friday evening, but it was all done by 12.30 AM and I could then sleep easy. I can't leave jobs like this alone as they prey on my mind if I do not get on with them.

All character building stuff I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment