Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Monday 16 August 2010

An evening run out in the Peak District

A few weeks back, Kevin and I had a run out on a Sunday evening to get some miles done running in his MZ. We had a great time although it was a bit cold. We found Arbor Low, an ancient monument estimated to be between 3 and 6 thousand years old. It consists of a stone circle (the stones have fallen over but are still there) within a massive earth henge. It's an impressive place and as it was evening we were the only ones there. We met a hippy type woman when we got back to the bikes who used to have MZs and has fond memories of them.
Then we went to Middleton Top, which is the start of a steep incline on an old freight line which was worked until the 1960s. As can be seen it is now a right of way and very steep for a railway at 1 in 8.
Here is the engine house used for hauling the wagons on a steel rope. It is possible to go round it but we were far too late for that.
Here is Kevin examining some old boilers.
We then had some tea in this rather grand looking pub before a rather damp ride back. I did about 135 miles on the shed, most enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark , MZ's always thought what an under rated machine they were, had the lone of one on two occasions, second time was one a pal had bought and asked me to ride it and give him an honest opinion, enjoyed it that much i had him worried as i was away for over an hour, my report to him was, swift, comfy, and a joy to ride, strange thing is i never ever owned one, recon i missed out there, Regards, Den,S.from Leicestershire,

    ReplyDelete