Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Tuesday 17 August 2010

A brief ride on a Guzzi V7 cafe racer

I have had my Moto Guzzi V7 Classic a year now and so it had to go back to the shop for a major service. The courtesy bike lent to me was the cafe racer version of the same bike. This has a single seat with a bum stop on it, upswept exhausts and clip on very low bars. The engine etc. is just the same. It looks very smart in a light green matt metallic finish. I soon discovered that cafe racers are not for me though. I just rode it to work and back and that was enough to make my wrists, forearms, neck and lower back ache. I don't think I could last more than about an hour on it, my more upright classic model is comfortable enough for hundreds of miles in a day. The sales rep did admit that although the cafe racer is a beautiful bike they have sold about 8 times more classic versions because they are slightly cheaper and way more comfortable.

The bike had an expensive service, but the shop did download an updated version of the fuel injection map onto the bike. This has resulted in better starting from cold and the engine is even better than it was before, accelerating more cleanly and I thought it was fabulous before!

No comments:

Post a Comment