Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Monday 12 July 2010

Trip to Wales

A few weekends ago I had a ride out to North Wales on the Trophy Sport MZ to give it a good run with the new carburettor bits in, do some Round Britain Rally Clues and drop in at an MZ rally. The first stop after a 120 mile thrash to clear the exhaust out was Llyn Brenin where I took this photo of the boats etc. Two RBR clues later I got to the MZ rally and spent a very pleasant couple of hours chatting to folk and not winning anything in the raffle!
This shiny sidecar outfit is pulled along by a late model Turkish made MZ. The owner was lucky enough to win the first prize in the raffle, the bike below:

This sectioned engine was on display, it all moves, watch your fingers!
Pete and 'Chelle, good friends of mine from Oldham were there on their Jawa outfit. It cost £40 eight years ago and after being lovingly painted army green with what looks like a yard brush, it has provided good transport ever since. Bargain!
They also agreed to buy this tidy MZ 150 Trophy at the rally.
MZ Trophy Sports are rare bikes so I had to take a photo of the other one there.
This fake army bike Jawa is a great bike and belongs to the editor of the Jawa club magazine.
This bike had been tuned a bit, had an expansion chamber fitted and had the cylinder and head fins machined round from square to save weight. It apparently goes very well. Hats off to the owner for making so much effort.
This is a Chang Jiang outfit, a Chinese copy of a Russian copy of a pre-war BMW! Very nice, but according to the owner a bit of a challenge to keep running right.
Moto Guzzi Spada 1000 with Canterbury Carmobile giant sidecar. The seat is wide enough for 2!
The cleanest bike there, Mally Morgan's MZ Rotax engined Country 500. All Mally's bikes are in spanking condition.
Leaving the rally I travelled through Llangollen and then over the Horseshoe Pass. This is the view from near the top at dusk.
later on, in failing light I did two more RBR clues then stopped off at this Chinese takeaway north of Wrexham to have egg fried rice, noodles and curry sauce. The owner liked my bike, was amazed I was riding back to Yorkshire on it after 11 at night and remembered seeing lots of MZs back in the 1970s. I did 257 miles that day and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The bike ran well but the carburation is still a bit off. I will persevere with it some time later but I can trust it to go a long way now I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment