Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Friday 30 July 2010

Stress busting ride home from work


Last Friday I had had a stressful afternoon at work, the weather was fine and warm and so I went home the twisty way. The little MZ 150 climbed from Elland right over the top of the Pennines at Buckstones mostly in top gear and then down to Denshaw on the Greater Manchester side. It's a great bike which goes far better than such a simple and small capacity bike really should do and despite its very ratty appearance, I am very fond of it.

Taking the Delph Road I soon turned left and followed some lanes which were not familiar to me. To my surprise I came across a llama farm with two of them in a field. Apologies for the poor photos but I did not have my camera with me and had to use the indifferent quality camera on my phone. I don't recall ever seeing a llama before.

A mile or two further on I came to a cross roads. Two of the ways were bridle tracks with all motor vehicles prohibited and not liking to retrace my steps unnecessarily I took the track marked "unsuitable for motors". As can be seen from the above photo they were not kidding. The centre stand took a real battering on some of the rocks and with road tyres I was sliding all over the place. At one point I had to get off and walk alongside the bike and the steep bits were done in neutral with the engine switched off, but it was good fun.
Shortly after returning to tarmac at the bottom of the track I found this ford which I did not know existed. I'm like a kid when it comes to fords and enjoyed splashing through it.

I got home about 8.30 in a much better frame of mind. MZs should be available on the NHS!

2 comments:

  1. mark, great blog, refreshing to find something honest on here, respect due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, they're appreciated.

    ReplyDelete