Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Tuesday 20 July 2010

My neighbour's Kawasaki Z1000, a postscript

My neighbour returned from his holiday in Spain on his Z1000 Kawasaki which was frantically still being repaired the night before his departure due to a badly leaking oil seal (see earlier post on the subject). He travelled 3000 miles without incident and had a great time, although the chain is now apparently well due for replacement. It turns out that on the morning of the departure the bloke who repaired the engine rang to ask if all was now OK and asked if anyone had remembered to remove the piece of tape protecting the breather on the engine. "What tape?"....

A quick check of the breather outlet from the crankcase showed the offending piece of tape which was quickly removed. The effectively blocked breather was allowing the crankcase pressure to build up which is what pushed the original oil seal out of its housing (although it was a remarkably loose fit anyway). All was then well and the bike should hopefully run for years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment