Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Wednesday 16 June 2010

Trip out to an MZ rally

I went to an MZ rally at Masham in North Yorkshire on the Trophy Sport last weekend. I picked a good route taking in twisty and quieter roads once I had got through Keighley. Near Bolton Abbey I caught up with this fine thing, a home made Vincent Comet special. The rider pulled in to tighten a loose lever so I pulled in behind him and we chatted for a while. The bike is a Vincent engine, gearbox and frame member (which includes the oil tank), most of the rest is home made, the rear frame being loosely based on a Norton featherbed. The swinging arm, leading link forks and the operating levers on the front brake are all home made.
The rider likes MZs too and was very interested in my bike. It turns out he had just sold a 250 Trophy. He was on a ride back to Whitby after visiting a friend in Ilkley, so the bike certainly gets some use.
Not much further on I turned on to the really little lanes and completely by chance met up with my friend Ian out for a spin on his mountain bike. Here he is planning his next off road excursion as his bike is apparently very good on rough tracks.
A bit further on I stopped to take in the view. Countryside for miles around, just great. This was taken at Greenhow Hill, above Pateley Bridge.
And here is the view from the other side of Pateley Bridge with Gouthwaite reservoir in the distance. I never got round to taking any photos at the rally and the next morning it was pouring with rain, so no more photos from this weekend unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment