Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Monday 7 June 2010

One thing leads to another - more bother with the Trophy Sport

I took the Trophy Sport to Leeds on Saturday to have a new pair of tyres fitted. I go to Startrights for this, it's a proper honest traditional bike shop run by a very good friend of mine.

http://www.startright.co.uk/

I can recommend them for good service.

I took each wheel out in turn and had new tyres put on as the others were well over 10 years old, had gone rather hard and in the case of the rear tyre, well worn. However, while the back wheel was out I checked the sprocket and found play on the bearing it turns on. The proprietor, Graham, insisted that I use their ramp and so I stripped it all down and Graham supplied a new bearing. To fit it, the chain has to be removed and the the sprocket pulls out of it's cover. It's a fiddly and very messy job to fit it all back together too as the chain runs in rubber gaiters and has to be threaded through them with the aid of a bit of wire. Everything is covered in black grease so inevitably I get covered in it too. The gaiters are probably the originals and are perished and so cracked open once disturbed and will need to be replaced. The chain seems to have a tight spot on it too now which can be heard as a click every lap of the chain. I have oiled it and will take it for a run soon to see if it has freed off, if not it is new chain time too. Just lately this bike fettling lark has got very expensive.

To be fair, the bike is 40 years old in a couple of month's time and has spent most of the last several years laid up so problems are inevitable. I'll get there with it I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment