Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. I thought I would write occasionally about my old motorcycle restoration projects, mainly MZ, Jawa and CZ though there are others. I will also write about the places I go and visit while riding them and occasionally I may post stuff about industrial archeology too.

This blog is for my amusement and to record stuff I may otherwise forget in the future, but if anyone else likes it too, that would be a great bonus.

I frequently make mistakes in the workshop, and I will share them on here warts and all so I can learn from them and maybe you can too.

Friday 11 June 2010

A degree of success with the Trophy Sport

Last night, aided by my mate Jonny the 250 Trophy Sport was treated to a replacement chain and new needle, needle jet and main jet in the carburettor. The former has got rid of the tight spot and the latter has definitely made a great difference. Before the bike was always running rich and vibrated a lot. Fuel consumption was poor at well under 50 MPG. The needle was visibly worn and the main jet seemed to be the wrong size.

I had a good run out tonight up on to the tops of the Pennines and back and the bike runs a lot smoother, but now there is a degree of pinking at mid throttle openings. This I was expecting as this type of MZ engine has the spark plug in at an angle from the right hand side and pinking can be a problem. It is possible to ride round it, but it is an irritation. I may try and raise the needle a notch to see if that cures it, but I am now confident in using the bike and will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment